The most comprehensive coverage on the construction of Statutes. It includes parts of statutes,Extrinsic-Aids,Intrinsic aids, Reading down, Amendments,Repeals,codifications,Quasi-Judicial agencies,Non-obstante clause,Mandatory/Declatory provisions,Tax ,Beneficial, Criminal,Fiscal Statute's Interpretation and sub-ordinate legislations.Besides it contains the Rules of Interpretation and the Role of Judiciary.Citations are in abundance.
Saturday, June 5, 2010
Presumption that Statutory Constriction is the domain of Judicary
[ Vasaio v. Dep't of Motor Vehicles, 42 Va. App. 190, 196-97, 590 S.E.2d 596, 599 (2004) (citations omitted).]
On the other hand, an "agency does not possess specialized competence over the interpretation of a statute merely because it addresses topics within the agency's delegable authority."
[Finnerty v. Thornton Hall, Inc., 42 Va. App. 628, 634, 593 S.E.2d 568, 571 (2004); see also 7-Eleven, Inc. v. Dep't of Envtl. Quality, 42 Va. App. 65, 73, 590 S.E.2d 84, 88 (2003) (en banc).]
Pure statutory construction, a matter within the "core competency of the judiciary,"
[Finnerty, 42 Va. App. at 635, 593 S.E.2d at 571, requires de novo review. Mattaponi Indian Tribe, 43 Va. App. at 707, 601 S.E.2d at 675 (citation omitted).
"This axiom stems from basic principles of separation of powers. 'It is emphatically the province and duty of the judicial department to say what the law is.'"
[Finnerty, 42 Va. App. at 635, 593 S.E.2d at 571 (quoting Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. (1 Cranch) 137, 177 (1803)).]
It necessarily follows that the a priori question whether the statute delegates or withholds discretion is itself a question of statutory interpretation, one implicating our duty of de novo review."
- Citland Ltd. v. Attorney General Kilgore, 45 Va. App. 268, 610 S.E.2d 310 (2005).
- Rules of Interpretation-Index
- Mischief Rule-II
- Mischief Rule: Basics
- Presumption about Legislature and awareness
- Presumption about Deference and Extent
- Presumption that Statutory Constriction is the dom...
- Presumption of Deference and weight To Agency Inte...
- Presumption in Case of Not-withstanding Clause
- Presumption that Legislator expresses itself throu...
- Presumptions against Substantial Changes In Law: A...
- Presumption against Implied repeal
- Presumption That Latter Enactment over-rides The e...
- Presumption about Special Statute and General Stat...
- Presumption that Amending Acts have some purpose
- Presumption that Legislature Knows the State of ex...
- Plain, Obvious and Rational Meaning
- Presumption of Correctness
- Literal Approach and Development of Other Approach...
- Basics Of Statutory Interpretation- Complete Artic...
- ▼ Jun 05 (19)
- ► May (209)
- ▼ June (119)